NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Consultant Anaesthetist
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Full time - 40 hours per week
- 27/10/2021 23:59
We welcome and encourage application from anyone with protected characteristics, as well as supporting reservists and Veterans who are looking for a rewarding and challenging career within the NHS and especially here at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
As one of the United Kingdom’s largest coastal resort, Blackpool has plenty to offer its residents – it’s not just a good place to work; it’s a great place to live. In addition to its bustling centre and historic seafront, the town is world famous for its many attractions, including the famous Blackpool Tower. Blackpool also offers a number of scenic cycling routes round our local parks and across the surrounding countryside, as well as boasting panoramic views of the coast on its picturesque Promenade. Due to Blackpool’s convenient location, Edinburgh in the north and London in the south can be reached within three hours by train.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals encourages flexible working in all our roles to support staff in maintaining healthy home-life balance. Working patterns such as: part time working, self-rostering, compressed hours, annualised hours, term time, reverse term time and flexitime working can be explored. We encourage applicants to state clearly on their application forms this request and discuss these options at interview.
The General Theatre Anaesthetic team consists of 17 General Anaesthetists, 5 Non consultant grades, 3 physician associates and 9 ICU Anaesthetists. The Trust also supports a Tertiary; Cardiac, Haematology and Cystic fibrosis service to Lancashire.
The General Anaesthetic team provides anaesthetic services for General, Breast and Colorectal Surgery, Upper GI surgery, Orthopaedics and Trauma, ENT, Dental, Ophthalmic Surgery, Paediatric Surgery, Gynaecology and Maternity Services for the local population. The department also runs an Acute Pain Service, Chronic Pain/Pain Management Clinic and a Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing service. We have well developed ERAS programmes in a number of surgical specialities. The Acute Pain Service and the Paediatric Service have both received national recognition for their standards of care.
Main duties of the job
This is a permanent post for a Consultant General Anaesthetist. The department would invite applicants with a speciality interest. Interests in management or education will be supported. This role will be supported by 1.5 SPAs for other activities and revalidation.
The department would encourage applicants with appropriate qualifications to pursue additional clinical or academic interests as part of their job plan. These activities would be supported with 1 additional SPA.
As a general anaesthetist, the appointee would take part in the general on-call rota covering non-cardiac emergency surgery and supporting maternity services.
Working for our organisation
There is ample time within the contract to support CEPD, teaching, audit, and activities of clinical governance. Although there is some flexibility in how and where these activities take place there is a requirement that time is dedicated within the working week to demonstrate participation in these activities on the hospital site. The Clinical Director will require evidence of participation in these activities.
The total number of programmed activities is 10 but further PAs will be offered to account for the elective and emergency workload after discussion. Alternatively, the number of basic programmed activities will be reviewed.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please ensure you read the Job description and Person Specification attached to the advert in full before applying.
- Inclusion on the Specialist Register or eligible for inclusion within 6 months of interview date
- Full registration with the GMC
- Primary medical qualification
- FRCA or equivalent
- Advanced Life Support qualification
- Qualification in Paediatric Life Support
- Advanced training in Anaesthetic Sub speciality
Qualifications & Training
- Completed approved training programme in Anaesthesia or equivalent
- Evidence of appropriate CEPD
- Full log book summary
- Management or leadership Training or qualification
- Broad exposure to Anaesthetic practice
- Appropriate experience in relevant Anaesthetic sub specialty
- Appropriate general non-anaesthetic training in a complimentary specialty
- Recent experience in the management of the critically ill patient
- Experience of Chronic Pain, Paediatric surgery, Obstetrics, Perioperative medicine, Cardiopulmonary exercise testing, MRI sedation and anaesthesia, Regional anaesthesia and Advanced IV access.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written.
- Effective teaching skills
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload and to delegate responsibility and supervise staff.
- Ability to motivate and inspire a multi-disciplinary team and work sensitively within teams and across organisations
- Involvement and evidence of implementation of service development and managing change in a healthcare setting
- Leadership skills- ability to take responsibility, show leadership and make decisions
- Computer and IT skills
- Educational qualification or working towards
- Experience of supervision of other staff
- Understanding of principals of Clinical Governance
- Awareness of NHS organisation and core values of NHS
- Understanding of the management responsibilities of NHS consultants
- Participation in a management training course
- Evidence of leadership training or qualification
- Commitment to CPD and requirements of clinical governance, research and audit
- Regular attendance at Audit meetings
- Ability to supervise audit projects
- A proven track record in self- directed research
- Publications in peer reviewed journals
- Recent personal involvement in audit
- Enthusiasm and commitment to the specialty
- Membership of appropriate societies
- Agreement to live within 15 miles of the Trust or within reasonable access by car
- Car owner with a full driving licence
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Allan Monks
- Job title
- Consultant Anaesthetist
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01253 953499