- Permanent: Permanant
- 10 sessions per week (Full time/Part time considered)
- BlTH/ Clifton Hospital
- £88,364 - £119,133 pa
- 31/10/2022 23:59
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is situated on the west coast of Lancashire, with services covering the local authority areas of Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre. The Trust is part of the Lancashire and South Cumbria Integrated Care System (ICS) supporting a population of around 1.6 million people.
We have three main hospitals providing acute services to around 330,000 local residents. The organisation also provides specialist tertiary care for cardiac and haematology services, delivers community health services to over 445,000 residents including those in North Lancashire and hosts the National Artificial Eye Service across England. Plus, we provide urgent and emergency care services to an estimated 18 million people who visit the seaside resort each year. We employ over 7000 people from 68 different countries.
We welcome and encourage application from anyone with protected characteristics, as well as supporting reservists and Veterans who are looking for a rewarding and challenging career within the NHS.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals encourages flexible working in all our roles to support staff in maintaining healthy home-life balance. Working patterns such as: part time working, self-rostering, compressed hours, annualised hours, term time, reverse term time and flexitime working can be explored.
We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic consultant who will contribute to the provision and development of high quality rheumatological care for the Fylde coast population. Sessional commitments will include outpatient clinics, review of inpatients at the request of consultant colleagues and multidisciplinary clinical meetings. This is a new post to help support some innovative service developments, including telephone advice and guidance and the development of virtual clinics. The appointee will join 4 Consultant colleagues. The contract is for 10 Programmed Activities, additional programmed activities may be available subject to negotiation with the Clinical Director. There is no on-call commitment for this post.
Main duties of the job
Applications are invited for a new post as Consultant in Rheumatology at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Applicants will be expected to have MRCP and be on the Specialist Register or within 6 months of achieving CCT from date of interview.
Working for our organisation
The Trust is highly active in clinical research. We are the highest recruiting centre for many clinical trials for commercial and non-commercial sponsors; and have recruited the first global, European and UK patients across a number of specialties. The Clinical Research Centre is the dedicated facility for use by researchers, where patients can participate in research. We have high calibre staff with long track records of being research active, staff who are enthusiastic to get involved in research for the first time and staff who support research through their role.
“Our unit is active in clinical research. We are recruiting patients to non-commercial studies including biologic registers and studies looking at intensive management of RA. Ideally the applicant would play an active role in clinical research.”
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please ensure you read the Job description and Person Specification attached to the advert in full before applying.
- Inclusion on the Specialist Register or eligible for inclusion within 6 months of interview date
- Full registration with the GMC
Qualifications and Training
- MB ChB or equivalent
- MRCP or equivalent
- Higher degree (MD/PhD)
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written.
- Effective teaching skills
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload and to delegate responsibility and supervise staff.
- Ability to motivate and inspire a multi-disciplinary team and work sensitively within teams and across organisations
- Involvement and evidence of implementation of service development and managing change in a healthcare setting
- Leadership skills- ability to take responsibility, show leadership and make decisions
- Computer and IT skills
- Educational qualification or working towards.
- Awareness of NHS organisation and core values of NHS
- Understanding of the management responsibilities of NHS consultants
- Participation in a management training course
Knowledge / Research
- Commitment to CPD and requirements of clinical governance and audit
- A proven track record in self- directed research
- Publications in peer reviewed journals
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Jones
- Job title
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01253 956833